Reasons for Cosmetic Surgery
The current practice of cosmetic surgery offers effective and efficient changes, and is chosen by patients for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons are of a medical nature, such as reconstructive surgery. Certain procedures are simply a matter of personal choice regarding one’s appearance. Some of the most common motivations for altering appearances include:
- Bad genes. Individuals’ looks are dictated by their genes, and some people are more fortunate than others. Few people are completely satisfied with their natural appearance. Although the desire to change a few physical details is common and manageable, the urge to change every characteristic is not a reasonable expectation.
- Pregnancy. Pregnancy can affect every inch of a woman’s body – sometimes permanently. In an attempt to minimize these effects, women often turn to plastic surgery. The most common procedures for this purpose are breast augmentations and abdominoplasty.
- The effects of aging. Skin loosens over time, resulting in wrinkles and sagging. Facelifts and dermal fillers are the most common means of slowing this process. When aging features have been worsened by smoking, physicians may be hesitant to operate if the patient still engages in the habit. This is because smoking hinders the healing process.
- Acne scars. Because the characteristics of scars vary drastically, it is rarely possible to make them completely disappear. Visibility can be significantly reduced, however, via laser skin resurfacing, fillers, or microdermabrasion.
- Sun Damage. Today, there is significant awareness of the negative effects of overexposure to the sun. This was not always the case, however, and extensive skin damage has been rampant. It ranges from mild discoloration to cancer. Cancer must be surgically removed, and laser skin resurfacing is sometimes effective to repair defects left by invasive surgeries. In other situations, full facelifts may be the best option.
- Physical problems. Plastic surgery is not always about appearance. In a multitude of cases, nose reshaping is done to minimize breathing problems and to reduce snoring. It others, eyelid surgery can improve vision.
Consulting with an experienced and qualified medical professional can help clarify the motivating factors behind the desire for cosmetic surgery. To discuss your options further, contact us today.